Monday, May 10, 2004

Crazy week is over, semi-crazy week is coming.

So as you know the updates are coming less frequent and more brief, and this will be really brief because this is actually during my discussion (can you believe that? a discussion in a computer lab w/internet... such a bad combination).

So the big thing is that last week is over, and we've selected our SPEAR staff for next year! I have yet to write up the memo to post everywhere (using the pretty Samahang letterhead), and I still have to call the selected staff (scheduled for tomorrow). Honestly, I had a really awesome time w/the interviews; I don't think I've had this type of feeling since I was a SPEAR counselor. In many ways, the interview process is similar to a SPEAR session: you're in a confidential space, seeking to challenge the student, while learning more about the student's motivations for what they do. And so many times I sat in awe as they described how SPEAR and Samahang have helped transformed them, with a more than a few breaking down in tears thinking about how far they have come. I'd say the feeling was like randomly witnessing an amazing event; you don't know what you did to be at that place, at that time, to deserve seeing it, but you're just thankful that you were there. I honestly don't know what exactly I did as Retention Coordinator that could explain the magnitude in the development of these students, but I can only be grateful for being part of the process.

In the meantime, I have two midterms over the next three days, so wish me luck!

And on a final sad note, I think my cell phone dropped out of my pocket in the Belmont High School auditorium. =( I pray that my phone returns to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home