Monday, May 17, 2004

Tenors, Video Games, and Too Many Damn People

I've been catching up on video games recently. I should correct myself... catching up on a video GAME. Advance Wars 2, one of the most awesome strategy games on the Game Boy Advance.

It's amazing how a good game just sucks you in and engages you. I think growing up with video games has emphasized certain aspects of my thinking abilities: you have an objective, the universe provides the tools to complete it, finish it off. While I think my problem solving skills are up there with the best of them, I get extremely frustrated when the tools aren't right in front of me or not so obvious (similar to poorly crafted video games). I don't mind the hard work if I don't have the tools, but college has made me realize that all too often the tools aren't there, and you have to either work with what you've got, search for them, or be creative in creating your own tools. I'm good with the former, and really poor with the latter two. Creation is painful, whether it's a tool, a paper, a script, or a child (mucho props to the child-bearing ladies), but you do it right and a bunch of people will benefit from your hard work. One of the frustrations of college is if you're not in a major right for you, it's easy to wonder how your hard work will benefit anyone. Do I think I'm in the right major for me? I think some of the problem solving aspects of Computer Science & Engineering fits me, but if I had to do it all over again, I would be either a Vocal major, a World Arts & Cultures major, an Asian American studies major, and/or a Geography major. It kinda woulda made all those AP Calculus classes kinda obsolete, but oh well.

Speaking of vocals, University Chorale has certainly been a blessing this quarter. Our conductor, Professor Neuen, approaches the music similar to an actor, which is probably why I respond to his style of teaching so much. He really gets into dissecting the meaning of a piece, and then placing the accents and rests accordingly. Makes me want to go into teaching high school chorale when I get older.

Oh, by the way, my final for University Chorale will be a concert on Saturday, June 10th, 8 pm, in Royce Hall. We will be performing Felix Mendelssohn's oratorio Elijah, along with the Angeles Chorale and the Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra (an orchestra comprising of students from all the local Los Angeles universities). I can get tickets for $10 each, but I need confirmations by this coming Monday, May 24th, or they'll go up in price (they'll be going for $20, $30, & $40). For more info, visit the UCLA Music Department Website. Leave a comment if you want a reservation (and please pay me ASAP).

After I'm done updating here, I have to finish a book for a report I've gotta write up for Engineering 95. The book I chose is called the Population Explosion. It's depressing, because it basically talks about how screwed humanity is if we don't stop population growth. Why do we have pollution? Overpopulation. Why is there this increasing crime and violence? Overpopulation. Why do you have hella disasters killing hundreds and thousands of people in lower developed nations? Overpopulation.

It's sad to think that the beauty of childbirth could be the cause of such turmoil and strife. Just to put things in perspective, the book clearly states that population growth alone doesn't create all these problems (America and its developed friends are the main culprits in raping the earth of resources), but you cannot have an honest conversation about global environmental issues without talking about population growth. The book's basically saying we can either voluntary curb our growth, or nature (and warfare) will do it for us. So does that mean we tell most of the world to stop making babies? I don't know; I haven't gotten to that chapter yet.

Oh, one last plug: Samahang is holding it's first annual post-Samahang Pilipino Cultural Night fundraising brunch on Sunday, May 23rd, from 10 AM to 1 PM in Ackerman Grand Ballroom. Meet SPCN participants, their families, and UCLA student and community leaders. Also get some Pilipino food. Proceeds go to Samahang's high school outreach project, SPACE. Seat reservations are $12 each; $15 at the door. Leave a comment to reserve as well (you can pay until SPCN).

OK, that post should cover me for a week. Go A's!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home